Saturday, January 08, 2005

Bumper Stickers

I used to be annoyed when I would see Kerry bumper stickers. Now they serve as a happy reminder at the relief I felt that Kerry and these people lost. Still, I wonder why sooo many people insist on keeping them on their cars. At what point will they finally look at it and admit to themselves "its over".

I fantasize that moment being similar to the ice scraper scene in "Fargo". In the movie, the main character is leaving a meeting he'd hoped would turn his life around only to be humiliated. Only after closing the car door does he realize that he needs to scrape off the ice that had accumulated on his windshield. Methodically working the ice initially, he begins slashing his windshield uncontrollably then throws the scraper onto the snow covered ground in disgust. After a few moments he picks up the scraper and begins dutifully scrapping again.

When they see another car sporting a "Kerry/Edwards" or "Re-Defeat Bush" sticker it must give them some sort of reassurance that they are not alone. I wonder if they realize that it gives people like me great pleasure as well.

Even though I love reading bumper stickers, I've never adorned my car with one. Admittedly, I was thinking bigger.

My little sister showed up Christmas morning with a Kerry button still prominently displayed on her nap sack. If she only knew how much pleasure that gave me...

You'd think that if it makes everyone happy there's no harm. The problem is they're still not over 2000. I suspect I'll be seeing these things for quite some time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home